Monday, May 17, 2010

Evie - # 3 out of 10


Evie, known to others as Evelyn, has a birthday May 18. Evie is my "youngest" sister, though she is #3 and I am #8. This picture of Evie, when she was about 18 is how I remember her most when I was a child. Evie graduated high school just before I started first grade. Then she went off to college and did some teaching. My first memories are when she was around that age.
Evie was the one who was always laughing and always playing jokes on my brothers. Here are some of my favorite memories:
  • Letting the cats in the house when mom and dad were gone (absolutely forbidden!)
  • Throwing water on my brothers - through the screen by the kitchen sink
  • Drinking lots of water, then lying on the couch, moving her belly so I could hear the water slosh around inside her
  • Malted milk balls in the top dresser drawer - and sharing them with me
  • High heels and lipstick and going on a date
  • Laying awake until she came home to see if she had a ring on her finger
  • Telling me I was going to get a baby brother or sister
  • Telling me I got a baby brother
  • Telling me what happens to girls when they start to grow up
  • Buying me my first razor to shave my legs
  • Reading and responding to lengthy letters filled with teen-aged angst
  • Beautiful handwriting
  • Baking cookies, making "tomatoes and macaroni"
  • Introducing the family to pizza
  • Playing the piano and singing
And then - she moved far away to California and it was a long time before I saw her again.
I'm so glad I've been able to spend more time with her since my job takes me to the Omaha airport every 2-3 months. I cherish those times we have together, just the two of us.
Thanks, Evie, for the positive influence you've been on my life, for introducing me to new and different things, for accepting me and loving me. I love you and I am proud to be your little sister. Happy Birthday!

No comments:

Post a Comment